Re: DoS attack

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 06:43:03PM -0500, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 03:10:40PM +0200, Karsten N. wrote:
> > the Tor node "gpfa" is for 10 hours target of a DoS attack.
> > The attack is running on at the moment.
>
> Hi Karsten,
>
> How did this resolve? Hopefully it ended after a while?
>
> Thanks,
> --Roger

Hi,

due to the overlay in timing (parallel start of an 'attack'
on my machine) I believe this to be the same issue.
With standard *x tools (no intelligence sorcery or alike, for the
paranoid)  I managed to find the person in charge of the
machine and called him up.
He then basically 'pulled the plug' as the
box proved to be inresponsive and apparently had gone out of
control. Until failure there was a Tornode active.

The box was killed on 1 Oct 2008 at around 16:00 (UST).

Actually this is about the same time when the scroogle issue
a bit earlier was solved, when, according to this post

http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Oct-2008/msg00014.html

an attack on scroogle  ceased, so I believe this all was
the same issue.
According to the person in charge the reason was a misconfigured
or out of control machine.

If the above is not related to Karstens post, my apologies
for the noise.
I do not remember who I talked to, and I do not own any
logs, the person was surprised but friendly and almost immediately
responded to solve the matter.

Regards

Hans