Re: all traffic through a VPN on top of tor, done!

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009, Andrea Ratto wrote:

The only problem I am facing is the lack of speed. Can something be done
about it? I was thinking to reduce the circuit lenght, but it seems
there is no option for that. Any suggestion is welcome.

Can one use a node listing like this:

http://torstatus.kgprog.com/index.php?SR=Bandwidth&SO=Desc

and then alter ones config to only connect, and build circuits with, nodes with greater than X bandwidth ?

Looks like there is 50+ nodes with greater than 1 MBps bandwidth ...

I suppose it's reasonable to assume that malevolent/compromised/government nodes will be higher in the bandwidth chart ? So perhaps the top 50 nodes represents far less "anonymity" than a randomly chosen 50 nodes ? Hard to say.

Another option would be to build your own co-located network of 10 (or so ?) nodes, and use them as a pool to build at least two out of three hops with ? That way you're getting high speed, but you "trust" the overall circuit because you know that at least 2/3 of your circuit is not malevolant.

I asked this question a month or so ago and did not see any answers - if one _did_ build a small (10 or so nodes) network of tor relays and used them as 1/3 or 2/3 of all circuits built ... perhaps allowing 80% of their bandwidth to be used by Tor proper, and (secretly) saving 20% for themselves ... is that a medium, low, or laughable amount of "anonymity" ?

If it's laughable, what's a good number ? 20 ? 100 ?