Re: single hop proxy?

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 6:17 PM, moris blues <moris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hi,
> can someone tell me what it mean:
> letting Tor be used as a single hop proxy makes exit nodes a more attractive target for compromise?
> What is a songle hop Proxy, i know only my Onion Proxy.
> And how do this attack work?

This is a 'single hop':

[user]----[exit node]---[internet site]

If single hops were allowed then there would be some exit nodes which
could contain logging data which directly identified a user.

The existence of single hop traffic would encourage people to
compromise, spy on, or capture exit nodes in the hopes that the
traffic they are interested in happened to be single-hop traffic.

It would also provide a ready excuse for parties with no genuine
expectation of obtaining useful information to harass exit node
operators with equipment capture or records requests. Since single hop
connections are always denied any exit operator can always honestly
answer that he does not have and could not have any records related to
the users of his exit, and he can provide this answer without any
analysis or consideration.