Re: Tor: Scroogle blocked, Google not ? (November 2009)

     On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 01:24:29 +0100 gabrix <gabrix@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>dreamcat four wrote:
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> The past few days I've noticed that all http requests to
>> https://ssl.scroogle.org have invariably failed. This appeared as a
>> DNS failure. After switching over to the regular http (non-ssl)
>> version of scroogle, I found that was generally working for another
>> couple of days then that went away too with the same can't resolve
>> host / No such domain. Anyone else also experienced this?
>>=20
>> And google. Nearly as strange have been my experience google lately.
>> The reason I started using Scroogle a while back was simply because
>> google had been blocking Tor exit nodes from performing searches. But
>> just today my first 2 searches worked. By prior experience this is
>> very uncommon. The first search had accepted cookies, the second
>> search cookies were disabled and it still worked just fine. Maybe
>> simply a coincidence and/or blind luck? Again, can anyone confirm /
>> deny?
>
>I have found the same , too !

     I confess to being somewhat mystified as to why anyone on the
OR-TALK list would still be using either of those search engines directly
anymore.  I quit using them years ago.  Why not try a metasearch engine
that has shown a modicum of respect for privacy instead?

	https://www.ixquick.com/

They have an alias, too, now at

	https://startpage.com/

Both accept HTTP as well as HTTPS if you need to play around with them.
Their home pages have links to their privacy policy at

	https://www.ixquick.com/eng/protect-privacy.html
	https://startpage.com/eng/protect-privacy.html

It is short and well worth reading.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG