Re: The best way to run a hidden service: one or two computers?

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:39:34 -0800 (PST)
Martin Fick <mogulguy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a question related to the tor client
> and hidden service protocol designs which
> may be relevant?  Can a tor client/hidden
> service sitting behind a NATting router
> query its router's internet facing public IP
> from other tor nodes?

Yes.  Current Tor relays send the IP address of the other node in a
NETINFO cell at the beginning of each TLS connection.

>                        If so, could the
> protocol be changed to prevent this somehow?

No.  This would break both bridges and relays operated behind a NAT,
even with the ORPort forwarded to the internal IP address on which the
bridge or relay is listening.

Robert Ransom