Re: StrictNodes or StrictExitNodes?

andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 10:11:55AM +0000, my.green.lantern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote 2.3K bytes in 61 lines about:
: So if Tor is using usual development practice then why does the
: stable version manual
: (http://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en) have
: "*WarnUnsafeSocks" in it if there has been no stable build since it
: was introduced in *0.2.2.14-alpha ?

This is because the tor-manual.html.en is really the -alpha manual, not
the -stable manual.  The long story made short is that the new website
removed the ability to do man2html on the -stable man page.  Oops.

I've removed the links to the -stable man page on the website, linking
to the -alpha version instead (and labelled as such).
I hope this is only a temporary bodge. The new dev (alpha) version commands are NOT in the stable version and WILL keep on causing confusion if this is not resolved.

: Also , I notice the manuals do not have deprecated commands in it
: any more (even if they are still supported). It might be wise to add

Because they're in the changelog. The man pages only contain what is
supported, not what was supported.

Well the commands are indeed IN the code and still supported and work, so there should be mention of them in the manual (as was done for the past X years now). Why not put them back in the manual and ONLY remove them in future when,

1. They are no longer supported at ALL in the current stable version
and
2. when the older versions are no longer compatible (e.g when from time to time we all have to update our older versions due to incompatible code)