Re: [tor-talk] The Stop Online Piracy Act

Andrew Lewman wrote:
On Tuesday, November 01, 2011 00:11:49 Jim wrote:
I haven't seen this brought up on this list yet, so I thought I would
mention it.  Tech Dirt (among others) are reporting on yet another round
of misguided (U.S.) legislation supposedly targeting copyright
infringement.  Part of this legislation involves attempting to prevent
DNS from resolving "offensive" domain names.

[snip]

Generally, Tor works on technology. Technology may always be able to circumvent policy, but if something is made illegal, then only criminals benefit. We'd rather spend our money on making Tor better for all of the positive uses of it, not fighting lawsuits and waging policy battles. However, sometimes we have to speak up and help those that do engage in lawsuits and policy battles, like the EFF.

If you don't like the EFF, then Fight for the Future is another fine organization, http://fightforthefuture.org/. If you don't like either of these, then directly calling your congressperson is a fine step too.

Thank you for your response.  For the record, I have faxed my
Representative and, for good measure, both my Senators.  Phone calls are
also great -- I just have more difficulty with them :-/ .  For those
that prefer an easier, but less personal and therefore (probably) less
effective method, I submit these links for contacting your Congress
critters:

http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa/
http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/pipa_house/

We're going to keep working on making Tor better.

Thank you!

Jim

P.S.  A call-out to Nick Mathewson.  Thank you, also!  I hate to be the
bearer of bad news, but this seemed like it might be important.  I do
appreciate what all of you do at a technical level.  Unfortunately, we
have to be aware of politics also.