Re: [tor-talk] What is tor used for?

On 03/11/11 04:23, toruser@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> so far it has me wondering if tor is really used for the humanitarian
> purposes the technology has the potential of aiding.  i would really
> appreciate hearing real stories and highlights of how has helped in the
> use cases torproject lists.

I'm willing to speak up, although I'm not going to be very specific. As
Roger has already implied, it kind of defeats the point of Tor if you
then broadcast to the world what traffic you're pushing through it.

I am a part time political activist in the United Kingdom. Due to
disability and chronic illness I don't manage to do much work "on the
ground". Instead I work online to motivate and inform other activists,
and increase awareness of issues that our mostly state-supporting media
chooses not to report.

Things are not good here at the moment. Although we are by no means
China or Syria (thank G-d), we are not a free country either. There is
much to be challenged and the establishment has a strong interest in
further restrictions of liberty. Many people, myself included, have been
spuriously arrested over the past few years and police brutality has
become an everyday occurrence. The ethnic cleansing which we thought was
consigned to history is back, and many of us now live in genuine fear. I
assume the rest of the world is seeing very little of this.

I don't hide the fact that I'm against the government. It's pretty hard
to do what I do without being noticed. But that doesn't mean I want
everything to be public. That would be pretty dangerous. Like in the
USA, people are being badly beaten by the police simply for engaging in
legitimate protest. I am more likely than most to die from a beating
because I don't heal properly. If I don't have to publicise what I'm
doing and where I'm doing it, I don't intend to. I'm not engaging in
criminal activity, but I am fighting for my kids' rights and would like
to stay alive.

The UK is one of the most watched countries in the world. Tor allows
people like me to be selective in what we allow the authorities to know.
When the guys with the big sticks and guns are looking for any excuse to
have some fun, and the government is happy to increase their power, we
all have something to hide.

Julian

--
3072D/D2DE707D Julian Yon (2011 General Use) <pgp.2011@xxxxxx>