Re: [tor-talk] tor security question

Am Mon, 07 Nov 2011 20:57:04 +0000
schrieb audd <audd@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> ok but my ISP could track my mac/IP address listening 8118 port??? or
> encrypted tunnelling pass throu this?
>
> On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 21:18:11 +0100, BlueStar88 wrote:
> > Am Mon, 07 Nov 2011 19:14:24 +0000
> > schrieb audd <audd@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> >> I'm trying to understand well how tor works, the ip are hidden
> >> throu tunnel encrypted nodes, but what about mac address? anyone
> >> could sniff the node for the mac address?
> >
> > The MAC addresses are for addressing between two network interfaces
> > only, so this information does not leave the segment (collision
> > domain). Every router changes source and target MAC after getting
> > the IP route solved.
> > The Tor entry node sees the source MAC from it's own segment router
> > only.

I'm not sure, that I understand you correctly. Can you be more specific
about your setup?

If your node resides at your home network, your provider sees only the
traffic, which goes out and in, passing your internet-link router. Your
provider sees your router's MAC and sets your external IP-address, so
he knows both. As long you haven't set any port forwarding (allowing
inbound connections on your router), nobody from the outside can see, if
any ports are open within your local network.

Only if your router is compromised, either by remote controlled
auto-updating (your provider) or by using an exploit (a random
attacker), it is possible to enable remote login for watching your local
network traffic at the end.

--
BlueStar88

0x36150C86 (PGP)