Re: [tor-talk] Tor and AES-NI acceleration , and Tor profiling

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [notice] Using OpenSSL engine Intel AES-NI engine [aesni] for AES
>
> So my guess is that it is now being used, but I must say I would have
> expected larger profit.

this notice does indicate you are successfully using the dynamic aes-ni engine.

public key operations and zlib still dominate processing. however, you
are getting not only 3x-10x+ performance improvement in AES ops, but
also avoiding nearly all side channel attacks against AES!

it would be useful to be able to toggle this engine on and off at run
time without a restart of Tor to measure actual performance comparison
of a running node with and without AES-NI acceleration.

best regards,