Re: [tor-talk] copying old profile to new Aurora not working

1st, I guess some default settings in Aurora are actually stored in prefs.js (as in USER set prefs)? If so, meaning the user prefs file isn't only user prefs - it has prefs set by Aurora devs?

Re: shooting myself in the foot. Maybe there's an issue w/ the prefs.js file - as mentioned - by copying the old prefs.js file into the new Aurora, which would be a valid concern.

There may be a good reason to extract newer versions the way you suggest because of prefs changes, but answering your question, most prefs I want to preserve are ones made by extensions. I also don't use NoScript default settings, exactly as they come in Aurora. There could be a white list of sites in NoScript, (for ex.), which might get wiped out if I just extract the new TBB over old one??? A few other similar situations. This is an issue for me because stock Aurora doesn't block ads, or web trackers, block referrer headers or a # of other things.

I'm willing to try it your way, if it's not going to wipe out all extensions prefs / settings. Ignoring the prefs issue you mentioned for the moment, I still don't see why copying the old profile into the new TBB profile folder shouldn't work (has in the past). Again, maybe it's not a good idea because of what you mentioned.

I take it you're saying if users extract a new TBB into the earlier TBB version's folder, it WON'T wipe out extensions, their prefs, search plugins, etc., that you've already custom installed? I think what it'll do is completely replace the previous prefs.js w/ all custom settings from extension. If it overwrites any extensions' prefs, they'd have to be uninstalled / reinstalled.

But, as far as copying / restoring an older profile into a new Firefox (or just setting an older profile as default to use in new FF ver), that is an acceptable practice - even w/ Mozilla KBs how to do it (ignoring for the moment any issue w/ Aurora's prefs.js file). It may be easier to allow a new ver to overwrite the old program files (assuming it doesn't mess them up as it sometimes does).

Since Aurora is just extracting vs installing, I didn't know how it would affect extensions, plugins (and user prefs) that were already installed in the previous TBB version. An upgrade of Firefox automatically uses the old profile (even if installed to new folder), unless told otherwise. It doesn't (normally) even touch the old profile. In Firefox, it's easy just to tell it which profile (an older one) to use. In Aurora, the profile is self contained w/ prgm files.

Thanks.