Re: [tor-talk] [liberationtech] Not another Haystack right?

----- Forwarded message from Joss Wright <joss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> -----

From: Joss Wright <joss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 11:21:42 +0000
To: Evgeny Morozov <evgeny.morozov@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Liberation Technologies <liberationtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [liberationtech] Not another Haystack right?

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 07:42:14PM -0800, Evgeny Morozov wrote:

> To Brian's question: I'm also very intrigued by this. The common explanation
> that I heard many times is that Tor was conceived as a tool for protecting
> one's online anonymity , not for circumventing government censorship; the
> latter was something that users discovered and embraced on their own. While I
> found this explanation plausible in the past, I'm no longer sure I can buy it
> without some further evidence. Were Tor's developers really that narrow-minded
> as not to understand that the tool can also be used for circumventing
> censorship? We are talking some of the smartest guys out there - and they
> couldn't anticipate it? Something here doesn't compute. Or was the anonymity
> talk just a strategic rhetorical device to deflect attention from the intended
> use? I haven't read all the relevant mailing lists and am just articulating
> common wisdom so it would be good if some people who have been involved with
> Tor for a long time would comment.

I'm not affiliated with Tor in any way, but have known the lead
developers for a number of years now and hopefully won't represent them
too poorly here. (Apologies to all involved if I do.)

There are a couple of answers to this point. One is that the original
idea of roughly-Tor-style onion routing was developed largely by Paul
Syverson and others. The main intention, as I understand it, was to
allow untraceable communications (in the "resistant to traffic
analysis") sense. More precisely, the goal was to ensure unlinkability
between the sender and the recipient of a communication. They realised
early on that the best way to achieve this was through a system that was
distributed geographically and organizationally, thereby preventing any
one entity (up to the state level) from being "trusted". (Where "trust"
can best be expressed as "you lose the game if they're dishonest".)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they noticed /relatively/ early on
that this might bypass filtering, but remember that the original
protocol was published in 1996 ("Hiding Routing Information" by
Goldschlag et al. in the first Information Hiding Workshop.). The
importance of the web at that time was much less than currently; the
Chinese Great Firewall project wasn't due to start for another two
years, and wouldn't actually be switched on for another seven. To have
directly aimed this at bypassing the type and level of internet
censorship we deal with today would have been quite prescient.

Having said that, Roger Dingledine's original project was the creation
of an online data haven called "Freehaven" (www.freehaven.net is still
running.) Tor, and a high-latency anonymous email system called
MixMinion were originally meant to be components of that project.
Obviously, Tor ended up dwarfing the entire project, but in one sense
Roger started with the intention of preventing blocking and filtering.

>From what I understand of Freehaven, though, it was more intended to be
an online store of data which would prevent censorship of information.
It was not intended to be an anti-censorship system for the general
web/internet. In that sense, I think that the anti-censorship properties
of Tor were more emergent than planned.

>From my interactions with the Tor project, there certainly seemed to be
a notable shift from treating Tor as a pure "untraceability" tool to an
"untraceability and circumvention" tool a few years ago. It's certainly
not correct to say that users embraced the filtering on their own, but
it's also not meaningful to say that it was some hidden design goal from
the start.

> Secondly, there is another common explanation for Tor's resilience: the fact
> that instead of going after a particular country, they try to be comprehensive
> and guard against any threats to users' online anonymity regardless of their
> location (this is obviously my understanding - please correct if I don't get it
> right). By this logic, tools that take USG funding and go after a particular
> country (as, say, Haystack did) make themselves vulnerable to certain
> conspiracy theories. But this argument, too, doesn't convince me anymore now
> that Iran has been going after Tor quite systematically and the Tor team have
> been modifying their product to ensure it works there. My question is: for how
> long can Tor continue being seen as neutral and not targeting country X if so
> much of their resources is spent on making sure their tool works in country X?

The Tor Project aim to prevent Tor from being blocked or blockable
anywhere, as you say. Clearly, states that aim to block it will receive
more attention as they aim to work around the blocks. From the point of
view of the Tor developers, as opposed to the perception that the tool
has in the eyes of a given community, I would say that they're more
focused on defeating blocking approaches than on defeating a nation's
blocks.

It's also probably worth noting that certain types of Tor blocking, such
as Iran's blocking based on the Diffie-Hellman parameter used by Tor in
its TLS handshake, were relatively easy to fix when they were noticed.
(In that case the fix was a relatively trivial few lines of code.)
China's blacklisting of Tor nodes and bridges is not so easy to fix, and
so requries a much greater effort on the part of the developers. What's
convenient is that there are a relatively limited number of ways to go
about blocking Tor, and so fixing any one method prevents any other
country from using the same technique.

Of course, the question here isn't really whether they are targeting a
country, but whether they are perceived as targeting a country. This is
exactly the same point as whether receiving funding from the US
government biases a tool: the actuality is of little importance, the
perception in the minds of the potential users is paramount. Tor
certainly receives a constant low level of criticism that it's just a
tool of the US government to monitor the internet; no amount of open
source, open design and transparent funding can convince someone who is
predisposed to the conspiracy theory.

Whether having the endorsement of an academic institution, no matter how
prestigious, has any truly significant effect in the global usage of a
tool, particularly when weighed against other factors such as its ease
of use, functionality, word-of-mouth reputation or availability, seems
questionable.

http://www.pseudonymity.net

----- End forwarded message -----