Re: [tor-talk] ads slow Tor Browser dramatically

On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 06:44:20 +0100
Andreas Krey <a.krey@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Why should they? They have 99.9% of low-hanging fruit (non-tor users)
> that they can go after easily; putting money on the 0.1% isn't
> sensible at all for them. While the TLAs don't care for the majority
> and don't want to be unable to get at the last few users.

While I don't have a problem with your logic, my experience is that
capitalism is anything but logical. We're talking about an ideology
that derives value from chasing resources that they presume are
infinite when in fact they are not. Think about the banks foreclosing
on ordinary folk who happen to fall on hard times, rather than think
about the effect that will have on their future business. The concept
of low-hanging fruit fits with that to start with, but once they've
harvested all that fruit they're going to want more and more because
that's how their system works. I want you to be right but I'm not
convinced.

As for intelligence agencies, well they're the people who would dangle
a bit of extra fruit as an incentive for the advertisers to do their
work for them.

But as I said initially, I'm just musing. I think it's easy to assume
that nation states are our only adversary, when they definitely are not.

--
3072D/F3A66B3A Julian Yon (2012 General Use) <pgp.2012@xxxxxx>