Re: [tor-talk] What's written to HD?

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 05:21:34AM +0000, danhughes146@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote 1.3K bytes in 29 lines about:
: Thanks, but I'm still a little unclear. You say "no"- it's basically the TBB workings, but it seems an open question atm? So is there anything else apart from disk cache ...swap files..flash cookies (flash shouldn't be on but if it were, would it also leave traces that wouldn't happen with Tails, a liveCD or a VM?)

You asked two questions. I answered both.  The first question
you asked is: "Does TBB write user content to disk?" The answer
to the first question is no, it uses ram cache only. The
second question you implied was similar to "what does the
operating system write to disk while using TBB?" This is an
open question, albeit one with a very old answer located here,
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torbrowser.git/blob/HEAD:/docs/traces.txt.

The details on what TBB does is here,
https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser/design/.

I suppose a third question you imply is "what does tails write
to disk?" If Tails is run from a cd/dvd-rom, nothing. It cannot
write anything to a read-only media. If you run Tails default
setup from a USB drive, it also writes nothing to disk, as
the USB filesystem is mounted read-only. Here's some more info,
https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/your_data_wont_be_saved_unless_explicitly_asked/index.en.html
Tails runs entirely in RAM with RAM filesystems.

: I'm thinking TBB has more users than Tails - which usually hasn't the latest Tor version either.  So is there anything that the TBB can run inside of e.g a liveCD of some sort, or Tails itself??

And now you blur TBB with Tails, they
are two separate entities. Tor Browser is here,
https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en. Tails as of 0.13,
does not include Tor Browser, but a similarly maintained Iceweasel with
different addons and patches.

Hopefully this clears up any confusion.

--
Andrew