[tor-talk] Tor 0.2.4.6-alpha is out

Tor 0.2.4.6-alpha fixes an assert bug that has been plaguing relays,
makes our defense-in-depth memory wiping more reliable, and begins to
count IPv6 addresses in bridge statistics,

https://www.torproject.org/dist/

Changes in version 0.2.4.6-alpha - 2012-11-13
  o Major bugfixes:
    - Fix an assertion failure that could occur when closing a connection
      with a spliced rendezvous circuit. Fix for bug 7212; bugfix on
      Tor 0.2.4.4-alpha.
    - Tor tries to wipe potentially sensitive data after using it, so
      that if some subsequent security failure exposes Tor's memory,
      the damage will be limited. But we had a bug where the compiler
      was eliminating these wipe operations when it decided that the
      memory was no longer visible to a (correctly running) program,
      hence defeating our attempt at defense in depth. We fix that
      by using OpenSSL's OPENSSL_cleanse() operation, which a compiler
      is unlikely to optimize away. Future versions of Tor may use
      a less ridiculously heavy approach for this. Fixes bug 7352.
      Reported in an article by Andrey Karpov.

  o Minor features:
    - Add GeoIP database for IPv6 addresses. The new config option
      is GeoIPv6File.
    - Bridge statistics now count bridge clients connecting over IPv6:
      bridge statistics files now list "bridge-ip-versions" and
      extra-info documents list "geoip6-db-digest". The control protocol
      "CLIENTS_SEEN" and "ip-to-country" queries now support IPv6. Initial
      implementation by "shkoo", addressing ticket 5055.

  o Minor bugfixes:
    - Warn when we are binding low ports when hibernation is enabled;
      previously we had warned when we were _advertising_ low ports with
      hibernation enabled. Fixes bug 7285; bugfix on 0.2.3.9-alpha.
    - Fix a harmless bug when opting against publishing a relay descriptor
      because DisableNetwork is set. Fixes bug 7464; bugfix on
      0.2.3.9-alpha.
    - Add warning message when a managed proxy dies during configuration.
      Fixes bug 7195; bugfix on 0.2.4.2-alpha.
    - Fix a linking error when building tor-fw-helper without miniupnp.
      Fixes bug 7235; bugfix on 0.2.4.2-alpha. Fix by Anthony G. Basile.
    - Check for closing an or_connection_t without going through correct
      channel functions; emit a warning and then call
      connection_or_close_for_error() so we don't assert as in bugs 7212
      and 7267.
    - Compile correctly on compilers without C99 designated initializer
      support. Fixes bug 7286; bugfix on 0.2.4.4-alpha.
    - Avoid a possible assert that can occur when channel_send_destroy() is
      called on a channel in CHANNEL_STATE_CLOSING, CHANNEL_STATE_CLOSED,
      or CHANNEL_STATE_ERROR when the Tor process is resumed after being
      blocked for a long interval. Fixes bug 7350; bugfix on 0.2.4.4-alpha.
    - Fix a memory leak on failing cases of channel_tls_process_certs_cell.
      Fixes bug 7422; bugfix on 0.2.4.4-alpha.

  o Code simplification and refactoring:
    - Start using OpenBSD's implementation of queue.h, so that we don't
      need to hand-roll our own pointer and list structures whenever we
      need them. (We can't rely on a sys/queue.h, since some operating
      systems don't have them, and the ones that do have them don't all
      present the same extensions.)