Re: [tor-talk] no

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 22:41:35 -0600
Joe Btfsplk <joebtfsplk@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I hope that Alessandro will be reminded / warned about commercial
> advertising on the Tor-talk list - Re: "Tor help"
> Though no fees are mentioned, if there a many agents waiting 24 hrs /
> day, they'd have to charge fees.  That is, unless the whole thing /
> phone number is a scam.

0845 is a UK (+44) revenue sharing, non-geographical number. The caller
is charged at a nominal local rate and either the callee or their agent
receives a very small, per minute payment. The 08xx numbers don't give a
large enough cut to run a successful scam based on phone charges alone;
084x codes are usually used for free helplines and similar, that need to
cover the cost of infrastructure. Scams operating on UK numbers will
almost invariably be 09xx (previously 089x) premium rate numbers which
incur a very high cost per minute.

So while Alessandro's repeated posts are incredibly irritating and
off-topic, there's no reason to worry about being scammed unless you're
stupid (or sleep deprived) enough to give him your credit card number
or other personal details.

Julian

--
3072D/F3A66B3A Julian Yon (2012 General Use) <pgp.2012@xxxxxx>