Re: [tor-talk] William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

----- Forwarded message from George Herbert <george.herbert@xxxxxxxxx> -----

From: George Herbert <george.herbert@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:17:46 -0800
To: "Naslund, Steve" <SNaslund@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: NANOG <nanog@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if
	you can.

The entire question here is whether CALEA's covered entities
definition and ISP "common carrier" (not exactly, but the commonly
used term for CDA protections available, see earlier discussion)
definitions overlap.

The answer is no.  It always has been no.  Plenty of publishers and
access providers do not fall under CALEA.  The FCC and law enforcement
are aware of that.  The conflation of the two in this conversation has
not been useful or educational.

What the future might hold is an open question, but for the time
being, CDA protections are available (at least theoretically, or
arguably) for a lot of people for whom CALEA clearly is not
applicable.

CDA protections are available whether you log commenters' IP addresses
on your blog, keep long lasting web acces logs, allow unrestricted
wireless access point access without logging, or what.  Responsibility
under it does not kick in unless you're aware of or notified of an
issue, with some exceptions.  Plenty of sites do not keep logs long
and some do not log.

-george

--
-george william herbert