Re: [tor-talk] William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

----- Forwarded message from George Herbert <george.herbert@xxxxxxxxx> -----

From: George Herbert <george.herbert@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:14:10 -0800
To: "Naslund, Steve" <SNaslund@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: NANOG <nanog@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if
	you can.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Naslund, Steve <SNaslund@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ISPs also do not "allow strangers to do whatever they want"  ISPs have
> responsibilities to act on DCMA notices and CALEA requests from law
> enforcement.  These are things that Tor exit nodes are not capable of
> doing.  If you were an ISP and could not respond to CALEA requests, you
> will find yourself out of business in a big hurry.

Sure, Tor exit nodes are 'capable of doing' those things if a report
is generated that someone's using it to source child porn or terrorist
communications or DMCA violations.  At the most extreme the owner can
shut down a node; they might also put egress filters in place pursuant
to notifications.

Plenty of small ISPs in one sense or another don't comply with CALEA
because they own systems not networks (open access sites, etc).  CALEA
goes to the network providers in those cases, as I understand it.

The Tor owner also might chose to fight it and leave it completely
open, but an ISP might chose to do that in response to certain notices
as well.

This presumes that law enforcement deems them the right place to go
investigating an incident, and notifies them.  But if they seem to be
aware of what Tor is in the US and be generally reasonable in
responding to issues with it, that I know of.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@xxxxxxxxx

----- End forwarded message -----