Re: [tor-talk] TBB 2.3 sometimes doesn't open pages 1st try (was: Kaspersky still interferes with SSL port 443 sites)

On 11/6/2013 5:51 PM, Sukhoi wrote:
On 05/11/2013 15:32, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
On 11/2/2013 2:04 PM, Sukhoi wrote:
I am experimenting problems with TorBrowser on the last months.
On most of the web sites I have to reload it 2 to 8 times until it
loads, receiving most of the times messages like this:

--------------------------------
Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at
blog.torproject.org.
--------------------------------

Sukhoi - a bit off topic, but I'm not sure your problem is w/
Kaspersky or any AV / FW.
If you haven't upgraded to TBB 2.4.x (still beta), may try that. I
think what you're seeing (if using TBB 2.3.x) is pretty common.

Was for me until I upgraded.
Joe,
Thanks for the comments.
I did additional tests and possibly you are right about the Kaspersky
and AV.

I just installed the latest Tor 2.4.x beta version, on Win 8 x64. The
problem seems to be a bit smaller, but stands, having to load and reload
the pages many times to get the content.

Tried also Tor 2.3 stable release on Linux, were the problem did not
happened.

Interesting. Each OS & each TBB version may act a bit differently. I'm using Vista x64 - could be differences vs. W8. Others using W8 will have to weigh in. However, I've read many reporting same issues of TBB not loading pages, that improved or disappeared when moved to 2.4.x. Maybe new series 3.x is worth trying, but it's still alpha, so maybe ? not suitable for serious anonymity requirements (freedom, life & death situations).

I didn't see a speed change using TBB 3, but speed isn't Tor's purpose. I saw no diff in pages loading (or not) on 1st try, in 2.4.x vs. 3.0, using Vista.

I tried 3.0a4 & had same issue some others did - the browser opened "empty." No menus, etc. Trac bug report said adding lines below, to userPerf.js in the TBB profile would fix it & it did, for me.
May now be a later version w/ this fix in it.

"TBB 3.0a4 - Pref.js (or userPref.js) entries - must be added before it will work. Otherwise, browser opens empty."

user_pref("gfx.direct2d.disabled", true);
user_pref("layers.acceleration.disabled", true);