[tor-talk] Can Google location system track TOR users?

Hi,

I am surprised how google maps was able to track my location, with few meters of error, by using the "Share Location" feature.

It is not clear how they are tracking the location with such accuracy. For sure is not using the IP. I guess they are crossing the information about the SSID wireless networks available near-by my location, which physical location was collected by google street view, with the wireless networks SSID my computer is able to "see". My own internet wireless connection is very new and was not installed when google street view did the survey on my city, so they must to be using the networks near-by. Maybe they are using the wireless signal intensity to triangulate my position, improving the accuracy.

I did some tests. The tracking location was very accurate on Firefox 25, with an error of few meters, but Firefox 16 was able to identify just my city, with an error over 20 Kilometers. This means that the tracking is a feature built-in the browser, probably submitting the required information to the google geo-location servers, and is able to by-pass tricks like set VPN to mask the IP. I guess the tracking system is submitting to google servers other information as well, as the MAC address, that may be used to identify the user across different location and internet access points.

Firefox is developed by Mozilla. Google "donates" 90% of the Mozilla Foundation funds. Who pays is the patron and give the orders. Google's core business is track people and sell the information to governments. Is there any chance to have in Firefox a "hidden" tracking that may compromise TOR?

Sukhoi