Re: [tor-talk] Tor Browser Bundle ignores /etc/hosts

On 2013-11-18 10:24, stl Rivercat wrote:
> TBB 2.3.25-14 wont use /etc/hosts on my Slackware 13.1.
> Even though my usual (non-Tor) Firefox does obey /etc/hosts.
> The hosts file just contains ad-server redirects to 127.0.0.1.
> The Tor browser goes straight through to the actual ad site.

Tor does not use your local address resolving facilities because doing
so would mean leaking the pages you request through Tor as DNS requests.
Also, exit nodes that falsify DNS requests like you do with /etc/hosts
will be marked as BadExit and not used as exits anymore.

If you want to block advertisements in Tor Browser, consider installing
the Adblock Plus extension for Firefox.

Benedikt