Re: [tor-talk] "Safeplug"

On 2013-11-22 15:56, andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 07:04:00PM +0600, rm@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote 2.5K
bytes in 0 lines about:
: > On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 04:50:44PM +0600, Roman Mamedov wrote:
: > > https://pogoplug.com/safeplug

Out of all the concerns about how they implemented it and such, my
main concern is that it just adds more clients to the network without
giving back in the form of relays or bridges. Or at least, none of
their documentation mentions the ability to share freedom and privacy
with others.

However, this looks like a fine test case for consumer-level torouter
market analysis. It would be great to learn 6 months from now how many
they sold and a summary of customer feedback.

I agree with the market analysis aspect, but I am concerned on the following points:

1. No source or design documents are provided.

Despite making use of open source software, and linking to the relevant open source licenses here: http://pogoplug.com/home-en-developers-open-source.html (whoops, a dead link), there are no design documents published, additional contributions or source linked anywhere on the website. If I wanted to contribute a patch, where would I do it? Not providing source for the device is pretty weak -- plenty of other projects, such as Tails and Whonix, have implemented transparent torification and provide extensive documentation and code.

2. Router Registration

According to https://pogoplug.com/safeplug, you must click on the following link to activate your device.
http://shop.pogoplug.com/store/pogoplug/buy/productID.292114000/quantity.1/pgm.94629500

The link isn't https, and redirects to a page asking for billing information to *buy* a device. I don't have a Safeplug, so I don't know if the page would look any different, but it does imply that they have the ability to differentiate between a Safeplug user and a regular Tor user (me). That smells bad.

3. Automatic updates

Not only does this imply that the device must phone home and uniquely identify itself (see, router registration), it also means that code can be pushed to the device. I'd say "against the operators consent", but you agreed to that, in the TOS:

"
Updates
As part of the Service, you may from time to time receive updates to the Software from Pogoplug that may be automatically downloaded and installed to your applicable device. These updates may include bug fixes, security enhancements or improvements, or entirely new versions of the Software. You agree that Pogoplug may automatically deliver such updates to you as part of the Service.
"

5. TOS

Pogoplug isn't an ISP, and I've never seen a router force a TOS on me before. And, it's one of those nasty ever-changing TOS that assumes if someone actually read it once, they will want to read it again:
"
Pogoplug may update or change these TOS from time to time and recommends that you review the TOS on a regular basis at www.pogoplug.com/safeplug. You understand and agree that your continued use of the Service after the TOS has changed constitutes your acceptance of the TOS as revised.
"

6. Torified Everything and Anonymity Profile

Roger and I had several long talks about the design behind a theoretical Tor Router product, and one sticking point is that although the easy way to do it is to simply transparently torify everything down the pipe, doing so does nothing for the anonymity set of the user behind the black box. We discussed alternate options, such as providing a captive portal that would instruct a user to download a copy of TBB and use the local router device as a first hop into the Tor network, perhaps by configuring the device as a bridge. Clearly not as easy as plug-n-play, but since most users of this type of device would continue to use their original highly fingerprintable browser, transparently torifying everything probably wont provide the anonymity that they claim. And although they do link to https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en, they should probably take a read through https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en#warning themselves.

--Aaron

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact