Re: [tor-talk] How secure is check.torproject.org?

Ed Fletcher:
> This is something that I have also wondered about.  Why go outside of
> the Tor network to check that you're using Tor?  Access to any hidden
> service would be proof positive that you are connected.

Because most people care about the clearnet. Because tor services are
not accessible from outside in case somebody with Opera would care if he
or she is on Tor, with no Tor installed. Sure, the not found might be
obvious to you. Not to the person trying to get «into the deep web»
without downloading some pack from torproject.org. Because it can take a
lot more time. But here I'm subjective.

I think TBB 3.0 solves this in a wonderful way. You are told without a
direct check. And if you still want to check you do have a link to
click. Myself I go for about:blank as home page. And that's even faster.
And if you want a second opinion and have any idea about how you are
getting online, any IP checker would fit the bill. Try one which works
without JS and cookies. And disable the darn things!