Re: [tor-talk] Cloak Tor Router

Hi!

On 17:09 Sat 01 Nov     , Lars Boegild Thomsen wrote:
> and we really would like this product to be what the TorRouter never became

I would really like to see this happen. To me it seems your goals are
slightly different tough. Torouter tries to provide public wifi (without
risks for the operator), run bridge (and other) nodes and create hidden
services (see https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/Torouter ).
The kickstarter page suggests it can be used to anonymise outgoing traffic
from clients to the internet. This may be quite problematic for these reasons:

1) People will not get hardened clients. See
https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser/design/ for a list of changes
made by torproject.

2) Every device can sniff on traffic from all other devices on the same
network. If you have one device which is compromised or somebody breaks the
wifi securety you are in trouble.

3) Depending on the configuration you may end up routing traffic from multiple
devices over the same circuit. You will almost certainly route traffic from
different programs on the same device over the same circuit. This may allow an
exit node operator to correlate multiple identities.

4) If you have a mobile device you probably want to be safe everywhere, not
just at home.

BTW: If you want to show people you are serious about privacy I would suggest
creating your screenshots+demos with a free operating system.

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com