Re: [tor-talk] Cloak Tor Router

On Sunday 02 November 2014 00:47:40 coderman wrote:
> even a simple one time, "You are about to route your traffic over the
> Tor network. Turn off your torrents and don't upgrade poorly written
> applications".
>
> the zero guidance to unsuspecting is what i am most concerned about;
> even basic captive portal warning would be a benefit.

I will definitely look into this one.  This should be quite easy to implement by messing a bit with the firewall tables :)

Only problem I see is that to make it useful I think it would have to time out at some point.  One example I have bought up a few times is my cheap and rather chatty media player.  I have not dug into the details exactly but I _know_ it "phones home" regularly and it is definitely a use case where the Tor browser bundle would be impossible.  Problem is that one is unattended so if I were to do a captive portal kind of page and that would require a positive acceptance, the Cloak would be useless for this scenario.

Number of wireless networks are not an issue so I _am_ beginning to think that more than two is necessary.  For example:

1. Open - Open network - no Tor
2. Transparent proxy - all tcp traffic allowed - forced through Tor - everything on separate circuits  - captive warning
3. Transparent proxy as 2 minus captive portal (for gadgets or someone who know what they are doing)
4. Isolating proxy - only https allowed - forced through Tor - everything on separate circuits and everything else blocked

It is not really a problem to make more than two so if this makes the Cloak more flexible I'd say it's the way to go.

--
Lars Boegild Thomsen
https://reclaim-your-privacy.com