Re: [tor-talk] "Hidden Services" vs "Onion services"

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014, Virgil Griffith wrote:

> If an expensive marketing company were trying to come up with a term to
> describe more anonymous networks such as .onion, even though "dark net"
> certainly fits, they would probably discourage it because of the reasons
> previously mentioned.
>
> I don't like "deep web", and I think we can do better than "dark net".  I'll
> accept whatever the TOR leadership tells me to use.  Perhaps something with
> more neutral connotations, something less "veiled net", "incog net" / "
> icognet", or "shielded net".

I think most of the time, it doesn't really make sense to talk about all
the .onion sites as a whole, so I'm not sure that a term is needed to
describe that. There isn't really a network of all those sites, but many
unrelated sites that just happen to be using the same tool (the Tor network)
and have nothing else in common.