Re: [tor-talk] "Hidden Services" vs "Onion services"

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 02:50:53AM -0800, Virgil Griffith wrote:
> Right now I perceive consensus in accepting the term "onion services"
> as a synonym for "hidden services", and when it's specifically a
> website, also suggesting the more specific term, "onion site".

For reasons I stated (separating the service the network provides of
doing the hiding from the service available via hidden access), I
prefer "onion site" as a general term even for non-websites despite
other drawbacks thereof.

Beside pejorative connotations, another conceptual confusion
frequently made in the media and important to counter is that these
sites/services/whatever are part of the Tor network.  Yes I know they
also confuse "The Web" with "The Internet" but its even more useful
for us to keep those separate. Calling them "onion sites" rather than
"onion services" helps with that in my opinion.

aloha,
Paul