Re: [tor-talk] Propsal for decentralization of the Tor network

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 1:07 AM,
<BM-2cUqBqHFVDHuY34ZcpL3PNgkpLUEEer8ev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have carefully checked trac and torproject.org website for proposals,
> seen many interesting ones but not a single one to decentralize the Tor
> network from the direcotry authorities. There are many ways to accomplish
> this apparently, and it's the only way to guarantee full independence and
> anonymity.
>
> Are there even plans to make this change? Or the current system which
> offers full control for few people seams good enough to you?

It's far from clear to me that substantially stronger decentralization
is practically possible for this application; at least not without
additional assumptions and exposure to new and concerning attack
vectors.

I think a better short term goal would be improving review and
auditability... which I think can be done.  E.g. better tools for
providing convincing evidence that the directory authorities are not
misbehaving, and additional protections against misbehaving, better
automatic handling should authorities misbehave. (E.g. making it so
that authority signing is moved into a HSM which at least enforces the
constraint that only a single signature will be given for a particular
time period, or the like;  making proof of a misbehaving authority
forever ban that authority, beyond a threshold misbehaving should shut
down the network until manually overridden, etc.).