Re: [tor-talk] Running a relay on a raspberry pi

Hi,

I am running raspberry pi 1 and raspberry pi 2 Tor relays.

Middle relay works pretty well, see
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/E7FF7144EA49AAE291B48E354C80B0CEE74A706E

2.65 MB/s without any problems.

However, my exit does not work very well. I have to limit it to
BandwidthRate 256 KB         # Throttle traffic to 256 KB/s
BandwidthBurst  1024 KB      # But allow bursts up to 1024 KB/s

Otherwise it will freeze to some unknown problem. Without low traffic
limits it runs only few days and totally freezes after that: I am not even
able to get SSH connection there. The traffic limits seems to help.

I have some documentation here:
https://github.com/juhanurmi/exitnode

These steps may be useful:

#Remove useless packages, see remove.sh on github
#REMOVES THE DESKTOP TOO!
sudo bash remove.sh

#Make sure everything is updated
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo rpi-update

#Low entropy may be a problem, install haveged
sudo apt-get install haveged

#Install Tor, remember check torrc
sudo apt-get install tor

#You can modify iptables and sysctl settings, see github
sudo cp sysctl.conf /etc/sysctl.conf
sudo cp rules.v4 /etc/iptables/rules.v4
sudo apt-get install iptables-persistent
sudo modprobe ip_conntrack
sudo echo "ip_conntrack" >> /etc/modules
sudo service iptables-persistent restart
sudo sysctl -p /etc/sysctl.conf
sudo service tor restart

# After installation may be good idea to
sudo reboot

This is just my test case. Maybe someone knows more details? :)

-Juha