Re: [tor-talk] Will Quantum computing be the end of Tor and all Privacy?

hikki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> So, where does this put Tor, encryption and general privacy? Shouldn't we
> start preparing ourselves for the inevitable privacy apocalypse?

People have been working on this for years, and they're making good
progress.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-quantum_cryptography

Notably, Google has even experimentally deployed a PQ ciphersuite
in Chrome (that uses elliptic-curve cryptography in parallel with
Alkim et al.'s "new hope" algorithm).

https://security.googleblog.com/2016/07/experimenting-with-post-quantum.html

If this works well and research continues to support this approach,
it should be standardized as a ciphersuite in TLS.

--
Seth Schoen  <schoen@xxxxxxx>
Senior Staff Technologist                       https://www.eff.org/