Tor 0.1.1.8-alpha is out

This is the eighth development snapshot for the 0.1.1.x series. The
main changes are that clients now use the new directory protocol, that
servers that are tight on resources stop advertising their DirPort,
and that we use OpenSSL's AES if it's available.

http://tor.eff.org/download.html

Changes in version 0.1.1.8-alpha - 2005-10-07
  o New features (major):
    - Clients don't download or use the directory anymore. Now they
      download and use network-statuses from the trusted dirservers,
      and fetch individual server descriptors as needed from mirrors.
      See dir-spec.txt for all the gory details.
    - Be more conservative about whether to advertise our DirPort.
      The main change is to not advertise if we're running at capacity
      and either a) we could hibernate or b) our capacity is low and
      we're using a default DirPort.
    - Use OpenSSL's AES when OpenSSL has version 0.9.7 or later.

  o New features (minor):
    - Try to be smart about when to retry network-status and
      server-descriptor fetches. Still needs some tuning.
    - Stop parsing, storing, or using running-routers output (but
      mirrors still cache and serve it).
    - Consider a threshold of versioning dirservers (dirservers who have
      an opinion about which Tor versions are still recommended) before
      deciding whether to warn the user that he's obsolete.
    - Dirservers can now reject/invalidate by key and IP, with the
      config options "AuthDirInvalid" and "AuthDirReject". This is
      useful since currently we automatically list servers as running
      and usable even if we know they're jerks.
    - Provide dire warnings to any users who set DirServer; move it out
      of torrc.sample and into torrc.complete.
    - Add MyFamily to torrc.sample in the server section.
    - Add nicknames to the DirServer line, so we can refer to them
      without requiring all our users to memorize their IP addresses.
    - When we get an EOF or a timeout on a directory connection, note
      how many bytes of serverdesc we are dropping. This will help
      us determine whether it is smart to parse incomplete serverdesc
    - Add a new function to "change pseudonyms" -- that is, to stop
      using any currently-dirty circuits for new streams, so we don't
      link new actions to old actions. Currently it's only called on
      HUP (or SIGNAL RELOAD).
    - On sighup, if UseHelperNodes changed to 1, use new circuits.
    - Start using RAND_bytes rather than RAND_pseudo_bytes from
      OpenSSL. Also, reseed our entropy every hour, not just at
      startup. And entropy in 512-bit chunks, not 160-bit chunks.

  o Fixes on 0.1.1.7-alpha:
    - Nobody ever implemented EVENT_ADDRMAP for control protocol
      version 0, so don't let version 0 controllers ask for it.
    - If you requested something with too many newlines via the
      v1 controller protocol, you could crash tor.
    - Fix a number of memory leaks, including some pretty serious ones.
    - Re-enable DirPort testing again, so Tor servers will be willing
      to advertise their DirPort if it's reachable.
    - On TLS handshake, only check the other router's nickname against
      its expected nickname if is_named is set.

  o Fixes forward-ported from 0.1.0.15:
    - Don't crash when we don't have any spare file descriptors and we
      try to spawn a dns or cpu worker.
    - Make the numbers in read-history and write-history into uint64s,
      so they don't overflow and publish negatives in the descriptor.

  o Fixes on 0.1.0.x:
    - For the OS X package's modified privoxy config file, comment
      out the "logfile" line so we don't log everything passed
      through privoxy.
    - We were whining about using socks4 or socks5-with-local-lookup
      even when it's an IP in the "virtual" range we designed exactly
      for this case.
    - We were leaking some memory every time the client changes IPs.
    - Never call free() on tor_malloc()d memory. This will help us
      use dmalloc to detect memory leaks.
    - Check for named servers when looking them up by nickname;
      warn when we'recalling a non-named server by its nickname;
      don't warn twice about the same name.
    - Try to list MyFamily elements by key, not by nickname, and warn
      if we've not heard of the server.
    - Make windows platform detection (uname equivalent) smarter.
    - It turns out sparc64 doesn't like unaligned access either.