Re: Broadband Reports: Tor Network Bogged Down by P2P

The solution seems simple to me. Anyone using huge
amounts of bandwidth should be required to run a tor
router.

<gnu@xxxxxxxx> -----

>>From: John Gilmore <gnu@xxxxxxxx>
>>Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:40:18 -0700
>>Subject: [E-IP] Broadband Reports: Tor Network
Bogged Down by P2P

>>http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/68438
>>
>>Some time ago our security regulars broke down the
logistics behind
>>Tor, an anonymity tool from the Electronic Frontier
Foundation. It was
>>designed for whistle-blowers, political dissidents,
researchers, and
>>others concerned about exchanging information
without authoritarian
>>backlash. Sadly network performance is being
jeopardized by
>>file-traders looking to evade the RIAA.
>>
>>File traders have been reconfiguring their Bit
Torrent clients to take
>>advantage of the network. Unfortunately the Tor
network wasn't
>>designed with high volume porn transfer in mind, so
the activity is
>>slowing it down to a crawl. The likely result will
be the EFF running
>>against the grain of their mandate, and restricting
network use.

>>	John
>>

>>----- End forwarded message -----
>>

> Bah, I see no problem with using it to evade the
RIAA.  sure, it sucks
> for us Tor people who use it for what is was
intended for.  It just
> means we need more nodes, and we need to grow more
to support this
> demand.  I'm all for giving the finger to "the man."
>
> It's time for Tor to expand, not regulate.  And if
expansions isn't
> possible, just let it suck!  I can't imagine many
fileshare people will
> cleave unto dial-up speeds with their broadband...
Once they learn that
> it sucks to use Tor, they'll stop.  We need
knee-jerk decisions in this

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs