Re: Confused about Tor settings

glymr <glymr_darkmoon@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> when is tor going to run a local dns proxy so this dns leak garbage is
> done away with.

Probably a soon as someone provides patches.

In the meantime, just install dns-proxy-tor.
http://p56soo2ibjkx23xo.onion/

> and a solution to proxying ftp? obviously tor is not popular enough yet
> for this to be a major dns leak point but considering tor doubled in the
> last 12 months in its bandwidth capacity and usage, it's just a matter
> of time before unscrupulous people intentionally use it to nab tor users
> ip addresses without their knowledge.

You can use trans-proxy-tor for that, or install 0.1.2.1-alpha.
Quoting http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Aug-2006/msg00300.html:

|    - Patch from Tup to add support for transparent AP connections:
|      this basically bundles the functionality of trans-proxy-tor
|      into the Tor mainline. Now hosts with compliant pf/netfilter
|      implementations can redirect TCP connections straight to Tor
|      without diverting through SOCKS. Needs docs.

I don't think it's in 0.1.1.24 already, but I may be wrong.

And if you don't use FTP anyway, you can just add an bogus
ftp proxy entry.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/