Re: Confused about Tor settings

 --- glymr <glymr_darkmoon@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> i'm pretty sure someone has written some dns proxy
> that queries through
> tor, i have a vague memory that it was only
> implemented in windows
> however. i'm going to look into this because i think
> it'd be rather cool
> to actually resolve all dns queries through tor,
> although sometimes that
> may wind up with different ip addresses depending on
> the exit node doing
> the query.

I still don't get it. Tor is for anonymity. DNS leaks
compromise anonymity (apparently anyone with 2 brain
cells on nodding terms can figure out where you're
going). The Tor documentation implies, however, the
setting ftp to fail (port 8118) solves this. But I
think people are saying DNS leaks are unavoidable. So
what's the point of Tor(?).

Either there is no point or I'm not getting it. But
anyway, it seems to me no average computer user is
going to make sense of all this. And I certainly
can't. So, as they say in the 'Dragons Den' (obscure,
UK cultural reference point)..."I'm out!". :-)

Thanks, all those who tried to help.