Re: ORPort is unreachable from the Internet

On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 03:04:25PM -0500, marlowe wrote:
> When attempting to run Tor as a middleman server (middleman exit policy
> and SocksPort 0), I consistently receive the following error message
>
> Oct 07 09:26:39.096 [warn] second_elapsed_callback(): Your server
> (68.101.42.157:9001) has not managed to confirm that its ORPort is
> reachable. Please check your firewalls, ports, address, /etc/hosts file,
> etc.
>
> I am running Tor 0.1.1.24 installed from RPM on a CentOS 4.3 machine
> behind a Linksys access point with the server as the DMZ host with all
> traffic forwarded to it.  The Tor recognizes my DirPort (9030)
> immediately, but never the ORPort (9001).  Both ports are allowed
> inbound through the firewall and I have validated connection from other
> Tor nodes with "netstat -an".  I can connect to the ORPort on the local
> machine with the following command:

When the Linksys box passes the connection on, what IP address does your
Tor server think it's getting a connection from?

We've got a check in there to make sure we don't consider ourselves
reachable too eagerly -- if it's a connection from a local IP address,
we don't buy it. But perhaps this is biting us in the case of people who
port-forward.

Can you look at info-level or debug-level logs and hunt through until it
tells you what IP address it's getting a connection from? (If it's all
gobbledygook to you, you can also mail me a debug-level log of the first
15 minutes of operation, and I'll look through it.)

Thanks,
--Roger