Re: Servers and the "Named" flag (was Re: time needed to register a serve)

Thanks for clearing this up!  :)

Robert

On Oct 1, 2007, at 12:09 AM, Roger Dingledine wrote:

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 05:38:18AM -0700, Robert W Capps II wrote:
Interesting, while the server config page clearly says the email may
not be answered, it does not indicate that the email will most likely
never be ACTIONED.

If it is the intention to not register names for servers, then that
should be clearly stated in the Server configuration guide.  It
sounds like it's time to delete Step Four: 'Let us know about your
server', since for all intents and purposes, the feature has been
abandoned.

I've removed step four, and also cleaned up some of the other items
so they don't contain scary-sounding words like "stdout". Thanks for
the nudge.

Am always good for a nudge now and then.

I for one would like to see some protection given to the names
assigned to long-term stable routers . . .

Me too. Keep your eyes out on the or-dev list for discussion about
how to do this in a more manageable way.

I'll keep an eye on or-dev for the discussion.

but that may just be a
personal preference of mine, I like to know which server ops take the
time to actually register their servers :)

Maybe we should instead assign them math problems to evaluate their
dedication. :)

If that happens, I'll have to find and pay a 5th grader to help me out. ;)

Thanks,
--Roger