Abuse complaint

Hey-

Last night, Time Warner Cable temporarily disabled my account due to an alleged attack coming from my IP address and targeting a server in Europe (Denmark I believe). Below is the e-mail I sent them to respond to the complaint.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to respond to these complaints? Is IP filtering the best (or only) option for addressing TWC's issues?

Thanks for your help,
Matt

Dear Time Warner Cable,

Last night I was notified that my cable modem Internet service had been temporarily disabled due to an abuse complaint. I called and left a message on your abuse telephone number last night and received a call today from one of your representatives. She explained that an attack on a server in Europe had been launched from my IP address. I explained to your representative that I am running a Tor relay node which someone may have used to launch an attack.

Here is a description of what Tor is (from torproject.org):
"Tor is network software that helps users to enhance their privacy, security, and safety online. It does not host or make available any content. Rather, it is part of a network of nodes on the Internet that simply pass packets among themselves before sending them to their destinations, just as any Internet host does. The difference is that Tor tunnels the connections such that no hop can learn both the source and destination of the packets, giving users protection from nefarious snooping on network traffic. Tor protects users against hazards such as harassment, spam, and identity theft. In fact, initial development of Tor, including deployment of a public-use Tor network, was a project of the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory, with funding from ONR and DARPA. (For more on Tor, see https://www.torproject.org/.)"

To be clear, this attack was not launched from any computer that I own and instead may have come from the inappropriate use of the Tor network. I explained to your representative that if she would forward me the abuse complaint, I would configure Tor so that this server would not be accessible from my Tor relay. Specifically, I will deny access to the server that was attacked from my Tor relay using IP address filtering. Thus, I need the IP address of the server in question before I will be able to setup this policy.

If you receive any new abuse complaints for my account, please e-mail or call me before disabling my Internet connection. If you give me specific information about the abuse complaint, I will do my best to immediately address the issue.

Here is my contact information:
[removed]

Thank you,
Matthew McCabe