Re: same first hops

On 9 Oct 2008, at 13:33, Scott Bennett wrote:
While we're on this subject, I'd like to point out a problem with tor's current data rate capacity testing during server initialization. In order to get some initial observations of the available data rates over a server's network connections, tor builds a few (3?) test circuits that make a loop from itself into the tor network and then back to itself. At present it uses the normal route length to do this, which can give a drastically low measurement. A better way would seem to be to use a single hop, i.e., a circuit that goes to one other relay and the back to its source. That may still provide a low estimate however, so the value obtained from a single hop test probably ought to be doubled for use as an estimate of the data rate
capacity of the server that is being initialized.

Interestingly, I had about 6 single nodes showing on the Vidalia network map yesterday, whilst my traffic was going via a normal 3-node circuit and another 3-node circuit was in preparation.
The single nodes disappeared after 20 minutes or so.

GD