Re: Copying Tor Directory Info

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 10:29:44AM -0500, Jonathan Addington wrote:
> > At one of the places where I use store fetching directory is routinely
> > blocked. Can I bootstrap the portable version of Tor (1.2.19, WindowsXP Pro
> > SP3) with data from the server (0.2.1.6-alpha on Ubuntu 7.10) I run?
>
> No. That wouldn't work because 0.1.2.x uses the v2 directory scheme,
> and 0.2.0.x and 0.2.1.x use the v3 directory scheme. So if you run the
> newer Tor versions, they won't fetch everything that 0.1.2.x would need
> to connect to the network.
>
> You could in theory run matching versions and copy over the directory
> data. I bet it would work if you try hard enough.
>
> But might I suggest you try the Tor Browser Bundle, which uses the Tor
> 0.2.1.x tree and should be generally harder to block than your 0.1.2.x
> solution?
>
> --Roger

Roger,

Thank you for the suggestion. I see that binaries for the 0.2.x branch
are not yet up. I do pretty well with building stuff on Linux (always
via SVN/CVS where possible) but find building the same programs on
Windows can be... harder.

For an experienced Windows/*nix user, but amateur programmer, how hard
-- or rather how long -- do you think it would take me to build it
from the source?

-Jon