Re: simple user question - someone please reply!

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 5:53 AM, Karsten N.
<tor-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Pat,
>
> what is your configuration. Are you using Firefox with Torbutton? How
> did you configure your proxy in firefox?
>

> vorwaertsgang@xxxxxx schrieb:
>> Hello TOR community members,
>>
>> this question might seem stupid to you, but it is essential for TOR
>> usage, and with my knowledge as a user-only, I couldn't answer it with
>> the TOR documentation/FAQ.
>>
>> Why is it that when I enter a non-existant URL in Firefox/TOR (e.g.
>> http://www.krachunddonner.de/ ), I receive a screen
>> (http://alicesuche-de.aol.de/suche/alice_afe_landing.jsp?invocationType=500error_alice&q=www.krachunddonner.de/)
>> from MY internet provider saying the requested site couldn't be found
>> AND containing the requested URL in a search field?
>>
>> This means that whether I'm using TOR or not, my provider always knows
>> the URLs of the sites I access (or try to access), right?
>>
>> TORs "exit node" is a step in front of my provider, so my provider can
>> log which sites I access, and, in case I don't use encrypted
>> connections, even all content I access. And he knows WHO's accessing it.
>> Correct?
>>
>> How else can it be that I receive that screen containing the URL I tried
>> to access?
>>
>> Please answer or tell where I can find an answer I can understand
>> without a lot of technical knowledge.
>>
>> Thank you!!
>>
>> Pat

Hello,

It sounds like your DNS queries are not going through the Tor network.
 Do you have privoxy or polipo installed, and are they being used?
Are you using TorButton?  Are you receiving any warnings in your Tor
log file?

Kasimir

--
Kasimir Gabert