hardware acceleration available for Tor ? On FreeBSD ?

I can see notes like this in the changelog:

Solve a bug that kept hardware crypto acceleration from getting
enabled when accounting was turned on. Fixes bug 907. Bugfix on
0.0.9pre6.

and I can see command line options like:

HardwareAccel 0|1

I would like hardware acceleration for my nodes. What part or parts are known to work well with FreeBSD ?

Any comments on the effectiveness of these parts, and the likelihood that they will actually allow a greater network throughput on the same underlying cpu(s) and memory, is appreciated.

I have been under the impression that memory is more of a limiting factor than cpu - with some estimates being 750-ish megabytes of ram per 10mbits/s. I am unsure whether hardware crypto acceleration will decrease this memory load, or simply decrease cpu load.