Re: Kaspersky wants to make Tor illegal

On 10/21/2009 04:49 AM, Karsten N. wrote:
> I think, fighting again anonymity is not a specific russian or chinese
> problem. IP traceback is under development for years....

The ITU has been working on IMPACT,
http://www.itu.int/osg/csd/cybersecurity/gca/impact/, for a few years.
It's latest document is hundreds of pages long about how everyone needs
to be tracked at all times for their safety, and possibly 3 sentences
about citizen privacy.

> Step-by-Step more and more people gives such advices for an internet
> without anonymity to increase the "security". But only the same few
> people are speaking about the human rights of private communications and
> the reasons for it. :-(

A difference may be that lots of people want to stop criminals, and have
the lobbying power to convince policymakers of their plans.  The people
standing up for our rights as defined by the UN HDR and various
constitutions aren't so organized nor as well funded.

I've been invited to attend the next IGF, http://www.intgovforum.org/,
but unfortunately cannot attend due to personal commitments.  There are
a number of others going to IGF09 who intend to speak up about online
privacy and anonymity.

Tor is a technical organization and maintains that privacy by design and
technology can route around these political issues.  However it behooves
us to stand up and be the opposition to the "track everyone online all
the time, just in case, for their own safety" mentality.  A surprising
number of people in various governments have only heard one side of the
argument and don't know that other viewpoints exist.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project

Website: https://torproject.org/