RE: (FWD) Load external content? message seems inappropriate

> Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 01:17:13 -0400
> From: arma@xxxxxxx
> To: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: (FWD) Load external content? message seems inappropriate
>
> [Forwarding to the list since this address isn't subscribed.
>
> My first question is: what is the content-type header provided by the
> webserver? Perhaps it was something that your browser recognized and
> thought it couldn't display by itself?
>
> My second thought is: this might be a Torbutton bug, and might want
> to go into bugs.torproject.org.
>
> --Roger]
>
> ----- Forwarded message from owner-or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx -----
>
> Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:11:52 -0500
> Subject: Load external content? message seems inappropriate
> From: Thomas Anderson <zelnaga@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: or-talk@xxxxxxxx
>
> I was playing around with Tor Browser to see what it was like and
> tried to download a small 1mb file from a server of mine. In the
> process, I got the following message:
>
> ---------------------
>
> An external application is needed to handle:
>
> http://domain.tld/path/to/my/file.ext
>
> NOTE: External applications are NOT Tor safe by default and can unmask you!
>
> ---------------------
>
> My question is... why is an external package being loaded? All I
> want to do is to download a file via HTTP to my hard drive. I don't
> want to open it up in whatever application would be appropriate and
> even if I did, it's not as if that application would be the one that
> downloads the file - Tor Browser would still download it and just
> place it in the Windows temporary directory or where ever.
>
> All in all, the message seems inappropriate. Sure, if I was
> downloading, say, an *.exe, that *.exe might connect me to the
> internet, but even then, the message seems misleading, since, at that
> point, it's not that an external package is needed to handle the file
> so much as the file *is* an external package.
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----

This is a Torbutton message. Your operating system might automatically open a downloaded file with another application - which might in turn connect to the internet directly.
Since Torbutton has no way of knowing what your OS is set up to do, it's an appropriate warning.
GD