Re: StrictNodes

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 07:57:42PM +0100, Geoff Down wrote:
> "[warn] The configuration option 'StrictExitNodes' is deprecated; use
> 'StrictNodes' instead."
>  It would help if such an option were documented in
> https://www.torproject.org/tor-manual.html.en
> or shipped in the expert install package.
>  Where is it documented please?
> GD

https://www.torproject.org/faq#ChooseEntryExit
clearly needs updating.

In the Changelog entry for 0.2.2.7-alpha - 2010-01-19 it says
  o Major features (relay selection options):
    - Switch to a StrictNodes config option, rather than the previous
      "StrictEntryNodes" / "StrictExitNodes" separation that was missing a
      "StrictExcludeNodes" option.
    - If EntryNodes, ExitNodes, ExcludeNodes, or ExcludeExitNodes
      change during a config reload, mark and discard all our origin
      circuits. This fix should address edge cases where we change the
      config options and but then choose a circuit that we created before
      the change.
    - If EntryNodes or ExitNodes are set, be more willing to use an
      unsuitable (e.g. slow or unstable) circuit. The user asked for it,
      they get it.
    - Make EntryNodes config option much more aggressive even when
      StrictNodes is not set. Before it would prepend your requested
      entrynodes to your list of guard nodes, but feel free to use others
      after that. Now it chooses only from your EntryNodes if any of
      those are available, and only falls back to others if a) they're
      all down and b) StrictNodes is not set.
    - Now we refresh your entry guards from EntryNodes at each consensus
      fetch -- rather than just at startup and then they slowly rot as
      the network changes.