Re: AdvTor

Anon Mus <my.green.lantern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jim wrote:
> > Anon Mus wrote:

> >> These were added because, as I already said, they were repeatedly (5+
> >> times on 5 different circuits)  "unable to resolve DNS and so failed
> >> page access",. this is a standard privoxy message.
> >
> > FYI, when you get that Privoxy message while using Tor (or any other
> > downstream proxy) it just means that Tor was unable to retrieve the
> > page.  Privoxy has no way of knowing whether this was because of a DNS
> > failure or some other reason.  (If Privoxy is the final proxy then it
> > knows whether the problem is DNS or not.  They should probably use a
> > different failure message when Privoxy passes the request onto another
> > proxy.)

If you are using a Privoxy version more recent than 3.0.9
(released in 2008), you can use SOCKS5 which will allow Tor
to provide Privoxy with a more detailed problem description.

> Sorry Jim, thats what it says, if these are NOT refusing DNS resolution,
> then they ARE actively blocking access to named urls which are
> noncriminal in nature (like this one), if so, then thats even worse and
> for so many - implies ALL these exit nodes have a linked (organized)
> hidden agenda.
>
> Try this... enter into your torrified/privoxyified browser the url
> "cobblers.za" and go get it.
>
> You'll see the following privoxy message page entitled "404 - No such
> Domain"
>
> 404
>

>   This is Privoxy <http://www.privoxy.org/> 3.0.6 on YourMachineName
>   (127.0.0.1), port 8118, enabled

Your Privoxy version is from 2006, you might want to consider updating it.

With a more recent version I get:

| fk@r500 ~ $lynx --dump http://www.cobblers.za/
|    503
|
|        This is [1]Privoxy 3.0.17 on Privoxy-Jail.local (10.0.0.1), port 8118,
|        enabled
|
|    Warning:
|
|       This Privoxy version is based on UNRELEASED code and not intended for
|       production systems!
|       Use at your own risk. See the [2]license for details.
|
|    Forwarding failure
|
|       Privoxy was unable to socks5-forward your request
|       [3]http://www.cobblers.za/ through tor-jail: SOCKS5 host unreachable
|
|    Just [4]try again to see if this is a temporary problem, or check your
|    [5]forwarding settings and make sure that all forwarding servers are
|    working correctly and listening where they are supposed to be
|    listening.
[...]

And Tor says:
Oct 09 14:00:19.571 [notice] Have tried resolving or connecting to address 'www.cobblers.za' at 3 different places. Giving up.