Re: tor-ramdisk 20101011 released for i686 only

One option for providing feedback on the health of the relay would be arm (www.atagar.com/arm) with the following config changes to keep with the aims of tor-ramdisk:
# would prevent any connection related information from being queried
startup.blindModeEnabled true

# crops log messages after a day
features.log.entryDuration 1

This would provide the user with:
- ps information (cpu/mem usage, uptime)
- basic relay information (fingerprint, flags held, version, etc)
- config (currently loaded torrc)
- the last day's worth of logs
- graph of the bandwidth usage

The last two give a very good indication for if the relay's working right or not. If this is too much information then I'd be happy to augment arm to meet your needs. Cheers! -Damian

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Anders Andersson <pipatron@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:16 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/11/2010 10:52 AM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> I want to announce to the list that a new release of tor-ramdisk is out.
>> Tor-ramdisk is an i686, x86_64 or MIPS uClibc-based micro Linux
>> distribution whose only purpose is to host a Tor server in an
>> environment that maximizes security and privacy. Security is enhenced by
>> hardening the kernel and binaries, and privacy is enhanced by forcing
>> logging to be off at all levels so that even the Tor operator only has
>> access to minimal information. Finally, since everything runs in
>> ephemeral memory, no information survives a reboot, except for the Tor
>> configuration file and the private RSA key, which may be
>> exported/imported by FTP.
>>

> Via FTP? It's probably not a good idea to export a private key without
> using encryption...
>
> All the best,
> Jake

My first thought as well. Pretty much every protocol invented is
better than FTP, in this case and most other cases.

Another question regarding the logging: I hope you include enough to
know if the node is working correctly or not. The logs that are
generated could also be deleted after a couple of minutes or an hour
as well, which might make it possible to log some more information if
necessary to verify functionality.

Great project though, a lot of people request this.