Re: Where does Tor get its relay lists from?

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 07:49:12AM -0700, Robert Ransom wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 07:02:10 -0400
> hikki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Every now and then, when you start Tor, it searchers for relays/descriptors.
> > And I've heard that it does that every now and then while it tuns as well.
> >
> > Does it get this list from a few static IP addresses that never change,
> > or does it pick randomly from thousands of IP addresses/dir lists out there?
>
> https://svn.torproject.org/svn/projects/design-paper/tor-design.html#subsec:dirservers
>
> In the current Tor network, the directory servers sign a ???consensus???
> listing and describing the currently known Tor relays, and most relays
> serve copies of the consensus to their clients.

Another place to read would be
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#KeyManagement

and then
https://svn.torproject.org/svn/projects/design-paper/blocking.html

The short answer is "it gets it from a few static IP addresses that
never change, except if you're using bridges in which case it uses
your bridges".

--Roger