Re: [tor-talk] Tor Browser Bundle: PGP encryption built-in?

On 2011-10-10, Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> is anyone evaluating whenever to include PGP encryption support into the
> default Tor Browser Bundle as a Firefox extension?

No.

> I looked at the implementation and:
>
> * FireGPG it's discontinued http://getfiregpg.org/s/install
>   It also seems it was using a "bad design" practice for the IPC
> communications between various modules.
>
> * NPAPI based GPG is just released (by old FirePGP contributor)
>   https://github.com/kylehuff/webpg-npapi
>
> Having a support for GPG encryption into a generic browser, with PGP
> operations usable from Javascript/XUL, could open a lot of improvements
> and opportunities to secure Webmail and other web applications.

No.  See https://tails.boum.org/bugs/FireGPG_may_be_unsafe/ , but
beware -- I'm sure katmagic and I missed a few dozen attacks.

> At http://globaleaks.org we'll most probably need such kind of support
> into the browser and we're wondering if this could accomodate a standard
> "requirement" of the Tor Project for the Tor Browser Bundle.

No.

> It would be also possible to easily make very simple "XUL" interfaces to
> handle basic PGP based file encryption operations, de-facto bundling a
> GPG client (with a Browser UI) into the TorBrowserBundle.

This sounds reasonable, except for the parts about the XUL interface
and the browser-based UI.  It also sounds rather like GPG4Win, except
for those parts.

> What do you think about it?

No.

> We're going to make some experiment in trying to build
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/torbrowser.git + GPG +
> https://github.com/kylehuff/webpg-npapi .

Ugh.

Robert Ransom