Re: [tor-talk] Ideas to securely implement PGP encryption/decryption

I more or less give this plan my stamp of approval. Just mind the
gaps, and careful with NPAPI! I am able to review and advise XUL+XPCOM
code for security.. But for NPAPI, we'll need someone else.

Anyone on-list have any expertise with processing untrusted DOM
data in NPAPI, and then rendering output safely in browser windows?
Sounds like a minefield to me, but perhaps it's safer and easier than
I expect?

Thus spake Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) (lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> Hi all,
>
> i understand all the doubt from Mike and Ransom about the possible
> exposure of user's security trough the exposure of functionality that
> can be "called by a remote web-application".
>
> This is an idea to mitigate most possible security issues:
>  * Put the encryption functionality into the hands of user actions
>  * Provide minimal interaction between Javascript/XUL functionalities
>
> Basically a user would like to encrypt/decrypt/sign:
>  - text form
>  - file uploaded/downloaded
>
> That kind of actions could be implemented like explicit actions that the
> user have to take.
> * Text form Encryption
>  - Right click on web/text form -> Encrypt/Decrypt
>
> * File Encryption
>  - Upload Box can provide an option (in the file browsing window) to Encrypt
>  - Download Box can detect if it's encrypted, and provide an option to
> Decrypt (in the file download box)
>
> This would work without any server-side
> invocation/manipulation/whatsoever trough client-side code that could
> expose vulnerabilities.
>
> That way there will be a "user firewall" between the encryption
> functionality and the possible active content coming from the server
> mitigating the risks of possible XUL/XSS and other attacks coming from
> active-javascript calling XUL.
>
> Also Key Management functionality could stay off protected by making a
> proper section (XUL) under Firefox options/menu that the user can use.
>
> No code coming from the web would be allowed to interact with the
> plug-in but the end-user will still have all the encryption features
> under his power, usable in a modern web-based world.
>
> What do you think?
>
> -naif

Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist