Re: [tor-talk] since today check.torproject.org states "you are not using tor"

On 2011-10-15, Andreas Bader <noergelpizza@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 15.10.2011 22:16, Andrew Hall wrote:
>> I've been using the TBB 2.2.33-2-Windows for the past week or so.
>>
>> Since this morning when the browser goes to the home page -
>> check.torproject.org - it says "Sorry. You are not using Tor" and states
>> my
>> "...IP address appears to be: 38.229.70.31".
>>
>> This IP is always the same no matter how many re-starts of TBB I make. I
>> notice the IP resolves to sergii.torproject.org
>>
>> I have also tried checking "My ISP blocks connections to the Tor network"
>> but this makes no difference.
>>
>> Should I be concerned about this ?

No.  We tried setting up an 'exit enclave' on check.torproject.org,
which causes Tor clients to open their TCP streams to a server over a
circuit built to a Tor relay on that same server.  This should make it
harder for a malicious exit node to notice that you are opening a new
Firefox window in your Tor Browser Bundle, among other things.

Unfortunately, a bug in one of the services behind
check.torproject.org caused it to not realize that connections made
through the exit enclave were in fact coming from Tor.  That issue
should be fixed soon.

> just do a reinstall of OS and TOR.
> Or use it on a live disc, would be most secure.

Malicious bullshit like this is not helpful.

Robert Ransom